Thursday, September 20, 2012

Newly framed

 
This first one is the Lizzie Kate piece I stitched at a retreat this past winter where Linda of Lizzie Kate was a featured designer.  The piece was exclusive to the retreat and I had Linda sign it.  I didn't notice until I brought it home that I totally forgot my own initials.  
 
 
 
This second one is 'Christmas Village' by  Prairie Schooler.  I loved working on this piece. Carol was generous enough to loan me the pattern....thank you, Carol. 

 
Seeing my pieces framed is such a thrill.  I know it can be an expensive finishing option but I try to keep it simple (translate...less expensive) by not getting a mat or glass.  I like a thin layer of batting behind the piece to add a little body and a frame that allows the stitching to stand out.  Often, people say they don't have a framer in their area.  There are frame shops everywhere.  I have used a variety of framers over the years and most know what they're doing.  I stay far away from 'big box' store framing departments.  I just don't get the same sense that they know how to handle needlework.  I'm sure they do great work when framing a piece of art work done on paper, but I'd prefer to have an experienced framer stretch my needlework.  I lost faith in a long time framer a few years ago so searched out a new shop.  I just walk in and ask if they have experience with needlework.  You can tell by their answer if they know what you mean.  I paid about $125 to have these both framed...which isn't bad considering they'll look great for years and years. 

Happy Stitching

L

5 comments:

  1. Libby your work is always so beautiful and the frames are an asset to your beautiful creations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say that's a pretty good price for 2 pieces that big - you did well! I think part of finding a good framer is getting some communication going...you have to ask questions and find out what their methods are before you just drop off a piece. I don't use the big-box craft stores either...too many sub-par experiences for me. I've always loved that PS chart and own it but I've seldom seen it posted as a finish anywhere. Your pieces are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the finishes! They're both very fall-y!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they both look wonderful!! I'm so glad I had the chart for you to borrow--now I just need to stitch it myself :)

    I'm really bad about remembering to put my initials on a finished piece, too. I usually write something on the back of the frame with the date, where it was stitched, and my name though so there is at least some record...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your pieces look wonderful!! The frames are perfect for showcasing your stitching.

    ReplyDelete